Tuesday 11 November 2014

Patchwork Please Triangle Patchwork Box Pouch




I've loved looking through the Patchwork Please book and so a couple of months ago I attempted the Box Pouch using a Moda Scrap Bag. There was a sew along when the book first came out and so there was some advice on various blogs. Some said they made it without many problems ... But I found it quite difficult to make.
The book says that there is a 1/2" seam allowance, but the triangle pattern has a 1/4" seam. I sewed all of it with 1/4", this was probably where I went wrong!
I wasn't sure how to attach the top zip panel to the sides, but Alyce from Blossom Heart Quilts explains on her blog that you sew it on the same as you mitre the corners when doing a quilt binding ... that then made sense.


The outer came together ok, but then the lining didn't fit :o(


I left it the right way out for ages and it looked very nice ... But I couldn't use it. Then at the weekend I finally stitched an extra panel in the lining to fix this hole. It's still very badly fitting ... But once filled with stuff it is ok.


Today I went to "Stitch Club" and filled it with bits to finish the clamshell block for my Green Tea and Sweet Beans quilt .... Or Grean Beans and Rich Tea as we have been calling it!
I love the boxy look of the bag, but I won't be making another one for a while. I will try out some of the other box pouch tutorials first.


Off to "Stitch Club" for the afternoon with my newly finished box pouch. It only took me about 6 weeks to fix the lining 😞 #scraptastictuesday #patchworkplease
Linking up with #scraptastictuesday over on Leanne and Nicky's blogs.


- Posted using BlogPress

11 comments:

  1. I really like your pouch, I think you call it a great success, and your clamshells are also lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for persevering - it looks very smart indeed. Love the clamshells btw I should get back to making mine! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks brilliant. Well done for persevering and like you say now that it's filled with stuff no one will ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep calling it Sweet Tea and Green Beans lol I'm glad you finished it in the end, I love a good pouch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great even if it's not 100% correct. I don't think I'd have even tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outside looks wonderful and stuffed with things nobody will ever notice the inside. It is hard to make a small thing like this for the first time and you will probably find it easier the next time you make a pouch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is lovely, well done for persevering. I think I'd have been confused about the seam allowances too! No one else will ever notice the wee hiccup with the lining! Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pouch looks lovely. You'd never guess you had problems with it! I followed the Zakka Along and had a really good time. I didn't make the pouch though, it sounds difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Patchwork exterior, I have tried to make a boxed pouch before and also totally screwed up, I found a good tutorial here with nice pictures, I need those, http://www.pinkxstitches.blogspot.gr/2014/01/boxy-pouch-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice box pouch!

    And thanks for the visit and entering my fabric giveaway!
    I follow you on Bloglovin' too ;-)

    ReplyDelete