Saturday 30 August 2014

Paper Pieced Butterfly




I love all the paper pieced patterns by Tartan Kiwi and so I was to take up the Butterfly Challenge and create this. I received the Art Gallery fabric when Fiona de-stashed it and I knew it would be perfect for fussy cutting.
To fussy cut the wings I traced the relevant pieces onto plastic. I know you can buy proper template plastic, but I save bits of packaging or milk bottles.
This works well as the wings were the first piece to be placed on all 4 sections.
REMEMBER TO TURN THE PLASTIC OVER TO REVERSE IT!


I like to line up the initial piece using the window and I use fabric glue to keep it in place.


I use the post card method for folding over each section and instead of ironing the small bits I use the wooden thingamajig.


I wanted the bag to have straight sides and a nice flat bottom so I used the tutorial by Katy, I used the same measurements and a width of about 9"


I'm very happy with how it turned out.... Sorry about the bad final pictures as I did forget about the time difference!


You can see that it is 4" wide at the base. Lovely and spacious too.




The Tartankiwi


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

13 comments:

  1. Challenge well met I'd say! Loving the technical wooden thingummyjig ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very sweet. And I love the wooden thungummyjig too - so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fussy cutting on the butterfly. I'm on the look out for fabric for fussy cutting. It's not easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on! The fussy cutting worked great here! Lovely bag: )

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous - the fussy cutting very clever and the fabrics perfect! I use the postcard method too and think it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's so lovely! The bag is perfection! Love the fussy cutting - it is so so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I love this so much!!! so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever cutting! I'm not sure I could think backwards that well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What perfect fussy cutting and a wonderful fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fussy cutting . Between flat bottoms and soggy bottoms , bottoms do stress us out !

    ReplyDelete
  11. ummmm postcard method??
    do enlighten! please..

    ReplyDelete